Backyard Oasis Renovation - Update
Hello friends! It's time for an update on the backyard ORC* renovation! Things are moving REALLY fast around here (nothing like the onset of winter to light a little fire under ya!) The last few weeks have been a bit chaotic and I haven't had a chance to provide updates, so consider this a double serving!
I'll walk you through the plan for the yard below and show some photos of the progress that we're making.
We love entertaining, so it's important to have plenty of space for outdoor dining and comfortable conversational lounging space. Additionally, we wanted some grass for the pups and raised garden beds for growing vegetables. I wanted to add ambiance with a pondless water feature and string lights. Lastly, what outdoor space isn't complete without swing/hanging chairs, so that's part of the plan to!
What we've accomplished to date is:
Rough and fine grading of the backyard for appropriate drainage.
Setting posts for the string lights and hanging chairs
New concrete patios for the dining space and fire pit
Power wash and paint fence
Landscape fencing along property fence line
Irrigation system for the grass
Top soil added
What is remaining:
Build pondless water feature
Build u-shaped sofa
Build outdoor dining table
Build fire pit
Hang swing chairs
Here's some pics in progress!
Posts for the string lights are set.
Concrete it poured
Raised planting bed around the tree. The tree has large roots near the surface that would be problamatic for planting sod, so the raised bed will protect the roots and provide a space for native pollinators to be planted.
We installed irrigation for the grass. Since it's a relatively small area, we were able to use a DIY system that connects to an outdoor spigot.
Fence is power washed and painted and we installed a shorter fence alone the fence line. This fence provides an extra layer between the neighbor dogs and will be planted in the spring. *Ideally the fence would be stained and not painted, but the fence was painted before and is rather old, so painting was the best option.
Sod is in! We installed a variety called Hyper Blue. It has high drought tolerance (important in Denver) and is also shade tolerant.
We're really happy with the progress so far. It's been a lot of work, but rewarding to see it come together. I'll post next week with more updates!
*We are completing this project as guest participants in the One Room Challenge (ORC), which is an 8-week long forum that brings together designers and diy'ers to share their journey in renovating a room or space. You can check out other inspiring project by participants of the One Room Challenge by clicking here.