HYGGE & SPRUCE
Craftsman Porch Meets Scandinavian Flair : One Room Challenge: Week 1
We are seriously so excited to be a guest participant in our first One Room Challenge! We chose our front porch as the space to renovate because of the importance that it has played in our lives over the last several weeks, while isolated during the Stay-At-Home order. Though the space isn't aesthetically pleasing, we found solace there while connecting to the "outside world" during isolation. It's served as a place to connect (at a distance) with our neighbors and community through waves, hellos, and the 8pm Denver howling (a nightly tradition to honor those serving on the front lines of the pandemic). I can't wait to mix Craftsman details with some Scandi flair and create new favorite space in our #HyggeHome. A few of the details we're tackling in this challenge are listed below.
1. Front Door - Our current door is a cheap interior 70's era door. I'm planning to replace the door with a Craftsman style door from Feather River Door. I love the color and the patina window in the image in my vision board above!
2. Privacy Wall - This privacy wall has got to go! I'm hoping to replace the old rotting wood with a cedar slat wall that I can hang plant pots on!
3. Decking - Though I've never had or installed decking, I'm finding a lot of great products that I think will bring a little character to the floor, once we pull up this less-than-stellar brown carpet!
4. Railing - I'm excited to replace the current railing with cedar railing and black aluminum balusters. I think it'll tie into the cedar planting boxes that we've DIY'd.
5. Furniture - I'll be adding a raised planter bed, LOTS of petunias (from seeds that I sowed indoors a few weeks ago) and hopefully a hanging swing chair (like the one pictured here from Target). I've been day dreaming about one of these chairs for so long, but don't have a place inside our house for it and the porch would be a perfect spot!
Be sure to join our adventure, as we go, and follow us @Hyyge_Spruce
UPDATE: I'll post links below, as I update weekly blogs with One Room Challenge progress.
Week 2: New Craftsman Style Front Door
Week 3: DIY Cedar Planter Wall for Privacy
Week 4: Blending Scandinavian & Craftsman Style with Easy Porch Flooring
Week 5: Cancelled
Week 6: DIY Tiered Raised Planter Beds
Week 7: Adding Curb Appeal With Modern Cedar & Iron Railing
Also, don't miss out on all the talent and inspiration happening during this challenge on the One Room Challenge Blog!